Monday, March 15, 2010

Ostrich Festival, or how we torture Mady.

Yesterday we tried out the infamous Chandler Ostrich Festival. It was a gorgeous day and I really wanted to get us all out of the house for some family time. So what could be better?

The only other time we've taken Mady on any type of rides was last September when we went to Sea World. She seemed to like the few rides she went on then, so we thought she would really enjoy this. Walking up, she spotted the fair and got super excited. She was running and jumping and saying "I'm going to have so much fun! It's so cool!" (At this point, Luke and I predicted we would be carrying her back to the car... there was no way she could keep up that amount of energy! We were right!) We also realized in the walk to the gates that it was going to be VERY crowded inside. So we tried to do a quick safety refresher. We wanted to double check that she remembered our names in case she got separated. So I asked her what Mommy's name is. "Mommy's name is... Mommy." Um, not quite. I don't think even the friendliest of strangers would be able to help her with that info. So I asked her what daddy's name is. "Daddy's name is... Luke." Phew! She could remember one.

We finally got inside, got our tickets and went off to figure out what rides Mady could go on. We found a small ride that spun around a bit that would be a great starter. So Mady and I climbed in. She hated it. The moment it did any spinning, she panicked. It was kind of like the teacups where you can use the wheel on it to make yourself go faster. I didn't dare touch it. Every time we went past Luke he was telling me to spin it faster. Guess he couldn't see how upset she was. She kept telling me, "Mommy, I so scared! I want to go home!"

So we got done with that and went to find another one. We found a little ride that had little kangaroos that you sat in that also went around, but it just went up and down a little bit like you were hopping. That one wasn't so bad. She didn't get excited about it, but she didn't say anything bad about it either.

Then we found a train that Mady could ride with Luke. In the meantime I went to stand in line for the ferris wheel. When the rejoined me in the line, they told me that Mady actually quite enjoying the train ride. We stood in line for the ferris wheel for at least a half hour. Mady was being quite the momma's girl per usual. We had to make a mad dash for the potty at some point. As we were getting to our turn, I asked Mady if she was ready to ride with me. "No thank you." (How is it that she turns so polite when she doesn't want to do something? Not that I'm complaining.) I tried to persuade her by telling her that the ferris wheel is my favorite and it's so fun to go up high. No dice. I had to call Luke who was standing off to the side with Logan to come either try to convince her or help me decide what we wanted to do. So he offered to take both kids while I rode. I got to be that person riding the ferris wheel all by myself.

But as I started to get higher and higher I realized something. Mady would have HATED it. So if she had come with me. I would have been that mom whose kid was screaming bloody murder on the ride.

Oh well. I got a few minutes to text and take pictures in peace. ;)

No comments: