Tuesday, February 12, 2008

She's a punk all right


I've mentioned a few times about the fact that Maddy is not interested in baby food. Doesn't want any part of it. We thought we would try to get her more interested in food by occassionally giving her tiny pieces of acceptable food from our plates. We've given her bread and noodles and let her suck on fruit. She's been loving that so we thought that she would finally be interested in baby food.

Fast forward to yesterday when I decided to give Maddy cereal for the first time in a while. I got one or two bites into her mouth and she gagged. She hated it. I tried to get her to take some more, but she shut her mouth like a clam.

While I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the kid, I decided to eat a Reese's peanut butter egg that I had gotten as a treat. (They're my favorite candy of all time and I look forward to Easter every year- just for the eggs.) Right away Maddy got very excited. As a little experiment, I held it up to her mouth. Not in her mouth, just near it. She opened her little mouth as wide as it would go. She was ready for whatever I had in my hand. Thinking I was smart, I tried to give her a spoonful of baby food again. She turned back into a clam.

I contemplated the situation with my daughter and went to get a banana. I figured I would continue my experiment. I took a bite of the banana and then cut off a tiny baby bite size piece. I held it out and sure enough, Maddy wanted to eat it. In fact, Maddy wanted to eat quite a bit of banana. I tried to mash it and put it on the spoon. Clam.

I don't know what I'm going to do with this kid.

No comments: